Discover the five great loves of St. John Paul II through remarkable unpublished stories on him from bishops, priests , students, Swiss Guards, and others. Mining through a mountain of papal resources, Jason Evert has uncovered these many gems, offering a treasure chest brimming with the jewels of the saint’s life. After a brief overview of John Paul’s life, Evert explores in depth his five great loves: Young People, Human Love, The Eucharist, Our Lady, The Cross.
This work is intended to be catechetical, inspiring, and evangelical. By looking at what he loved and why, the goal is to help readers learn more about key aspects John Paul’s life and teachings, including Theology of the Body, Divine Mercy, Total Consecration, Eucharistic adoration, and redemptive suffering.
Woven throughout the book is an assortment of intriguing stories and facts that most Catholics don’t know about the saint, such as:
- How the communists actually selected him as archbishop
- How a priest stabbed him in Fatima, yet he continued with the liturgy
- How one of Osama Bin Laden’s “best men” nearly murdered him in the Philippines
- How he had conversations with the Virgin Mary
Rekindle your own faith by learning what captivated the heart of this great saint. Illustrated.
Praise for Saint John Paul the Great:
“Jason Evert offers readers an insightful, popular introduction to St. John Paul’s life and loves.”
– George Weigel, Author, Witness to Hope
“Jason Evert has synthesized the life and teaching of Pope John Paul II around the motives that mark a saint’s life: what great loves moved him to be the witness to the Gospel, the apostle to the modern world, a mystic who was also philosopher and pastor? Reading this book, those who knew him will find themselves smiling and nodding; those who never met him will come to know him.”
– Francis Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago
“Amid the great array of John Paul bios, this one stands out because of the evident love the author has for his subject. In this telling, love draws out new riches and makes a familiar story fresh and new.”
– Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC, Bestselling author, 33 Days to Morning Glory and Consoling the Heart of Jesus